29 January, 2017

Week 5: Recipes, Dishes, Mugs and Glasses


Monday: Read Organized Home Challenge #5: Recipes
Done.

Tuesday: Declutter recipes
Done.

Wednesday: Sort recipe into categories and organize them
Done.

Thursday: Declutter cookbooks and then organize the rest
As mentioned previously, I was anxious about this week and started early. And finished it all before the actual challenge came around!

Friday: Declutter small kitchen appliances
Done. I've never been one for having lots of kitchen appliances, and in this house there is not enough space to have many appliances on the work tops. Appliances used every day are allowed on the work tops: kettle, microwave, toaster and coffee maker. My new stand mixer (Kenwood Prospero) has an honoured place in a kitchen cupboard. In the cupboard immediately outside the kitchen, we keep the appliances we want, but don't use on a weekly basis. There's a blender, George Foreman grill, small fryer and sandwich toaster.

The blender is starting to show signs of wear and will need to be replaced. Sadly the Kenwood accessory blender does not fit with my Prospero. It would have been good to have an accessory rather than a whole new appliance.

Saturday: Declutter plastic grocery bags and switch to reusable ones
We try not to use plastic bags. We keep a couple of folding crates in the boot of the car and use them for larger shops. My shoulder bag is good for holding a number of smaller items. But of course, there are times when we do use plastic. We have a carrier bag store in the kitchen, and the bags are reused.

The store was almost full in December. I took the plastic bags along to Douglas street market and asked the first stall I shopped at whether they would like some. They were delighted.



Sunday: Declutter plastic silverware and other take out supplies
We have a little stash of plastic cutlery and paper plates. These are get for picnics and travelling. They are on the topmost shelf in the pantry, out of reach for me, but I know where they are.

The takeout plastic boxes are fantastic and I use them many times for my homemade ready meals. We have been very efficient in creating the ready meals, and I'm running out of plastic boxes!

No comments:

Post a Comment