08 June, 2017

Under Pressure

My blood pressure was rather elevated. Too much weight, and too little exercise, too much salt, and adding a side of order of stress are common causes of high blood pressure.  Into this mix I was able to add the steroids I was give to enable me to breathe properly.

The steroids had changed my taste buds, and the only things that tasted half way decent were veggies. This caused a large increase in my veggie consumption. I finished the course of steroids a month ago. With this step towards healthier eating already in place, I decided to really address the salt in my diet. The last month has seen a serious drop in my salt intake, and I've been eating more potassium rich foods. (This is really good for helping with muscle cramps and also lowering blood pressure.) Iron May has helped with the exercise portion. Resigning from work initially raised my stress levels, but now I am feeling much better. 

The result is my systolic pressure has dropped by 40 points in the last month! The diastolic is still reading a bit high, but we'll see what the next few weeks will bring. I am hoping the change in diet, and maintaining exercise, will cause a change in my weight, and have a knock on effect on my blood pressure. I've already had to take in a couple of pairs of trousers.

The wet, wet weather of the last week has meant my joints have been very sore, and I engaged in some comfort eating of crisps. I didn't enjoy them. After a nap my mouth felt so dry and as if it was coated in something nasty. I craved fruit. As I bit into some raspberries my body shouted out "Yes! This is what I want!" My taste buds really have changed.

As well as having an impact on my waistline and my blood pressure, it's making a difference in my grocery shopping bill. Now, about a half of our shopping is fresh fruit and veggies, and we are saving money.

No comments:

Post a Comment