04 June, 2017

Buying your way to happiness?


I was re-watching a YouTube video by The Mustards. They asked "What was the last thing you bought that you are still really happy with now? And how many things have you bought since then?" (Food isn't included.) Many people use shopping as therapy, or buy when they are sad, low, or in need of some emotional lift.

My last non-food shopping was at Sweet Ginger Emporium (crafty things for crafty people). I bought fabric, batting and threads to complete the Rainbow Squares en Pointe quilt. I'm very happy with the results, and I'm using up the leftovers. However, crafting supplies are almost in the same category as food for me. The supplies are bought to be used up and turned into other things. The secret is only buying what you need, and not what ever catches your eye. I still have so many crafting supplies.  I am trying to get projects finished to use them up, and also donating other craft items.

My last purchases I really love were at the start of April, in Ikea. We bought two new knives and a sharpening 'steel', and two lamps. We love the look of the lamps! They are functional, and beautiful. The knives are great too. It's utterly brilliant having sharp knives. It makes cooking a pleasure.


I am trying to be much more intentional when I buy, and not buy on the spur of the moment. There's no point in decluttering my home if I'm introducing new stuff at the same rate (or faster) than things are leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment