15 June, 2017

The Great Jelly Roll Race


Normally when I'm making patchwork I am in control and choosing every aspect of the design. Today, it's a little different; I'm trying my hand at random. And, it's tough.

Jelly Rolls are 2.5" strips cut across the width of the fabric. They often come in colour ways. This is a blue set I was given a while back. I've been pondering what to do with it, and decided on a Jelly Roll Race quilt.  The race quilt was popularised in quilting clubs when people actually had races to see who could finish the top of their quilts the quickest!

The strips are sewn end to end, making a piece of fabric about 1,600" long. Then it's folded in half and a 800" seam is sew. The fold is cut, and the process starts again. The colours can be planned, but most people don't take the mental effort to plan it. I've decided to randomise my work as much as possible, and I've also added a 2.5" square of yellow at the end of each strip.

The yellow squares have been added. A huge long strip has been created, and it's been folded in half twice. Three quarters of the sewing has happened, and I'm taking a break.




No comments:

Post a Comment