15 April, 2017

Thinking about Bathrooms

I've been thinking about bathrooms, and how my bathroom might look in the house I'm designing. My conclusion is I don't want a bathroom. I don't like baths. Showers are so much more pleasing to me. One of the things I love about our current shower room is the shower is not above a bath. When my joints are painful, negotiating a bath can be tricky. Love showers, hate baths.

One of the current trends is to have a large shower stall; they fit in the same sort of area as a bath. Rather like this one:


It is enclosed and has an extremely low step into the cubicle.This would be utterly brilliant for bad joint days. However, I've just noticed the tiles in the photograph, I'm not so keen. A non-porous, grout-free surface would be my choice. However, I do love the clean lines, the natural colours, the white, and the chrome. Those things really bring peace to me.

The other things I would want in my shower room will be a loo and sink, both in clean, simple white, a squatty potty, a mirror at my eye level and a loo brush. There will be minimal things on counters/surfaces. These will include tooth brushes, tooth paste, soap, loo roll and towels. There will storage for extra loo rolls. This will be able to be accessed whilst sitting on the loo! Storage will be available for spare towels, spare shampoo, conditioner and shower gel.

It is only now I'm considering under sink storage. It's always been free-standing pedestal sinks I've had, but now I'm looking at their effectiveness with regards to storage. This is one image I rather like, it's too big, but I like the general feel of it:


It would look great with a mahogany coloured loo seat, and a lush green plant on one side. 

There will be a window - so very much needed for ventilation - with a catch that means the window can be left open, but secured when people are not home. Also a heated towel rail/radiator to allow the towels to dry and be ready for their next use.

One last thing I really want, but for guests, is a mitzvah box of sanitary products. I have a little wicker basket on top of my loo, and in that basket are individually wrapped tampons and pads. It looks like little gifts, all wrapped up, but they really are a blessing (a mitzvah) if someone should find themselves in need. They are sitting out, ready to be used. This can be be wonderful for young females, and also those approaching the menopause, both times when periods often don't come along on a predictable schedule.



No comments:

Post a Comment