08 April, 2017

Re-think on the House Design


Staying at The Docks has opened my eyes to a number of aspects of house design. This apartment ticks many boxes regarding design. It's clean, crisp and neutral. It feels spacious enough for three people to holiday in it (one bedroom, and a sofa bed in the sitting area), and it would be great for two minimalists to live in all year.

It has made me re-consider the footprint of the house I'm designing. It's far too big! I had already suspected as much, but this visit has underlined this fact. Too big, too big, TOO BIG! The combined living space is about half the size of the great room I had planned. The open plan area 6x5m and the bedroom is 3x4m.


I love the cool. crisp, neutrals in the bedroom, white on white, with grey and cream, old beams stripped of paint, and exposed brickwork. It looks great. Whilst I like it here, I wouldn't want to have a new build with exposed brickwork. It would be substituted with a natural material. Anything added to the space needs to be considered as it makes a big difference to the look of the place. The limited palette gives a serenity to the place.

Another aspect of the serenity if the simplicity of the space. There's a bed, two 'bed side' drawers, a hanging rail and mirror. It feels cozy. It's interesting the difference not having clothes storage or bookcases has on the area. I like it. I am moving over to a system where the clothes are not in the bedroom, but there is a hanging rail to put the next day's clothing, and a couple of hooks for dressing gowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment