11 April, 2017

Chicken Gravy


The Elder Offspring asked me how to make gravy. My reaction was "Umm... you just make gravy." This is now a much more considered response. I'm writing out my method and my recipe for chicken gravy as I cook.

Ingredients
1 onion, finely chopped
cooking juices from a roast chicken
2 gloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp mixed herbs
1 Stock Pot
560ml boiling water
3 level Tsp of gluten-free flour
cool water
seasoning

Method
Cook the onion in the chicken juice for about 7 minutes. Try to caramelise the onion, but don't burn it. You want to add a depth of flavour from the caramelisation, Then add the mixed herbs and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Again, do not burn the garlic - this will add bitterness.

Deglaze the pan with some boiling water.  When the pan has been deglazed, add all of the boiling water, and the Stock Pot. If you prefer, you can use home made stock. I like the convenience of a Stock Pot.

Mix the gluten-free flour with cool water to form a slurry. Use the slurry to thicken the gravy to your desired thickness.

Check the seasoning. Add salt, pepper, herbs etc, and even a squirt of brown ketchup!

No comments:

Post a Comment