27 December, 2018

Christmas Cakes 2018


This year's Christmas cake was chocolate sponge, sandwiched with fresh cream. It was decorated with chocolate ganache and chocolate trees. The trunk of the trees were Matchmakers, and the branches were white chocolate dyed green (using an oil-based food colour). Before the tree branches had set, they were sprinkled with tiny multicoloured sugar balls, an topped with a tiny white chocolate star.


I can't decide if I like this cake or not. The idea was originally to impress a design on the top, and allow the colouring to fill the grooves. I think it would have worked if I had used alcohol with the food colouring powder, but as a friend who is a recovering alcoholic was coming round, I decided not to use alcohol. The result was a liquid that was too thick to drip into the groves, and too wet. Instead of being groovy, I decide to go for a smear. 

The leaves were made using my holly and plunge cutters, and by mixing up different colours of fondant. The Elder Offspring gave me some wibbly wobbly packing foam. After the leaves were cut they were draped over the foam to give them some life and shape. The leaves look great!  Still not sure about the blood smear.

No comments:

Post a Comment