04 May, 2017

CDs and more CDs and even more CDs


We have so many CDs. And, today, the stacks in the sitting room have had a first decluttering pass. They all now fit into the CD storage tower.

This first pass has been a trifle tricky. When we were deciding which DVDs to keep the criterion was 'What you do want to keep?' We found that with CDs we were having a sentimental attachment to CDs based on our emotion responses to the music. Rather than wade through a sea of sentiment, we chose different criteria. The first was the goal of having all of the CDs in the sitting room fit into the CD tower. The second was to choose which CDs we no longer wished to keep. This was a far, far easier decision to make. Later on, perhaps in a few months, we will re-visit the CDs and see if are are ready to make any more decisions about what to keep and what to let go.

My main problem is I don't listen to CDs. When I want to listen to music I use youtube, or the music saved onto my Kindle. From a decluttering/mininalistic approach to stuff, this makes far more sense than having a physical object taking up space. The only CDs I actually listen to are Christmas ones.  At that time of the year I choose to put a CD on the CD player and listen.  But, I'm not quite ready to part with some of my CDs.

However, the sitting room is looking a little chunk tidier. The last thing to do is the set of shelves above Geek Corner. This will take about 10 minutes. The Doctor Who DVDs are staying, as is the Galileo thermometer, the Lego Mars Rover and the CD player/radio. The few remaining items will go into the box for the charity shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment