21 August, 2017

Red Sashing and Sand Triangles

A few days ago I saw Hint of the Holidays at Quilting Digest


The colours sparked a memory of those very first patchwork fabrics I bought, and as I had been thinking about making runners for the coffee table and side board I decided to jump in.

It was then I was unearthing the fabrics I realised pinwheels had been made previous, so wanted to use them instead of the central square. Borders were added, and when I was about to add the triangles to the square I realised the runners would be far, far too wide, and there would be a very real danger of not having enough fabric. Therefore the design changed.


Red borders (1.5" x 9.5") were added to the bordered pinwheel blocks, top and bottom. Then right angled triangles were sewn to the sides. My patchwork inexperience was showing with regards to adding the triangles and I decided to make them a little bit larger than I would probably need as they can always be trimmed later. The triangles were 10.5". The first and last blocks only had one triangle sewn to them, and the rest had two. A 1.5" red strip will be added between the sections. Strips will be added to the first and last. 

I don't quite know how many squares long it will be. The side board is longer than the coffee table. My suspicion is the side board will require an additional square. 

No comments:

Post a Comment