24 August, 2017

Getting Batty and Knotty

The 15th of July was the last time I bought crafting materials. At the time I made a decision not to buy anything new for 3 months, except items needed to finish projects. 

The Pre-Quilt was in need of a backing fabric, and there was the possibility of needing more batting. A trip up to my craft materials storage room (also known as the guest room) revealed I didn't have batting, but I did have a couple of metres of the light cream fabric. There is enough fabric for me to back both runners and also bind them! A trip to the craft shop solved my batting problem. I was able to buy some iron-on batting and was very pleased with the purchase. 

The plan is to machine quilt the light cream areas of the square blocks, and to hand quilt a design in the larger, sandy triangles. The Celtic knot design above will be used. The design has been enlarged to fit the area, and printed out. This has been slipped under the fabric and drawn on using a Frixion erasable pen. When the ink is heated it disappears.

And suddenly I have a problem! I can't iron on the top onto the batting as this will erase my carefully traced design. I think I am going to have to treat it as ordinary batting and pin it in place whilst I quilt, and then iron over the places with the disappearing ink. Ah well! The best laid plans of mice and bears often go awry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment