18 March, 2017

Decluttering: To the Kettle-Cave!

The Elder Offspring named her bedroom the Kettle Cave. She went off to university three and half years ago. This weekend she moved into her first proper apartment of her own, not living with parents, or in student flats. The Younger Offspring has taken over residency of the bedroom and has renamed it the Noodle Bowl.  

As if often the case when teenagers go of to university they leave a load of stuff at home. This stuff is being packed up and very, very, gently decluttered. This decluttering is limited to random bits of paper, and little bits of rubbish. These are not my belongings and it would be totally wrong to dispose of them. Instead the clothing has been sorted, folded and stored in my decluttered chest of drawers, and other belongings are being carefully packed away. When we go to visit we will take the boxes, and then it will be totally up to the Elder Offspring to decide what she wants done with them.

For a number of years we had a little box that we kept at my parents.  It had things like hair brush, tooth pastes, shower gel, slippers, pjs. It was so useful not having to take everything with us when we visited. We'll do the same for Elder Offspring.

As the batch of Elder's belongings were taken from the Kettle Cave/Noodle Bowl and place on the bed in my room.  I sat on one corner of the bed as the piles became larger. For a good half hour, or more, I was overwhelmed with the clutter.  This really confirmed to me that I do best in an ordered situation, one without clutter.  This is what I want for my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment