06 May, 2023

I Swear Allegiance to...


Traditionally, when a new monarch is crowned the peers line up to bring their homage and pledge allegiance to the king/queen. 

This time around, it will only be William, the heir apparent who will do this. Instead of the Peers' Homage, there will be the People's Homage. Those in the cathedral, and those watching on television will be asked to pledge their allegiance. "I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God."

No, just no. It is time for this shambolic system of monarchy to come to an end. It's time to end the huge imbalance of power in the patriarchy.

Instead, I pledge my allegiance to the poor, to the dispossessed, to the margianalised and 'othered'. I will make my voice heard against injustice, and oppression. I will not keep silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment