13 May, 2023

ADHA


I was looking through some of the stories I have written, and came across a post from the 4th of February, 2018.

"I don't know quite what has happened. I've never really been able to get routines to stick, and I do so need them to stick. It would be wonderful to live in a house where things are normally looking rather presentable. Currently, things start slipping, and when they have really slup, THEN I do something about it."

And now I know why!  ADHD

Routines are one of the big challenges for people with ADHD. For neurotypical people, if they repeat a routine for 30-45 days then it sticks. I could do something for a 100 Days, or even 365, and if I don't consciously choose to do it the next day it doesn't get done. Each day I have to consciously make a decision to do things.

One of the biggest changes in my ability to keep the house clean and tidy is the Beloved and I are working at the same time. We share a list, and choose tasks, ticking them off as we go. We stop when the list has been completed, or after a set amount of time.

In ADHD circles this is called 'body doubling'. It keeps me on track, and it gets double the amount of work done.

----

I should also say I am utterly brilliant in a crisis. My brain pops and whirrs and whizzes, coming up with wonderful solutions, and I am a creative person.  These are some of the positives of ADHD.

No comments:

Post a Comment