31 March, 2020

Shut Up and Write Tuesday


I was really looking forward to Shut Up and Write on Saturday. It was the only social event on my calendar. We had a little think, and decided to move to three times a week instead of just the normal one.

On Monday, I watched Ocean's Eleven. Whilst I enjoyed it, there were rather a lot of plot holes regarding forensic evidence and what to do with all of that money.

In the film they stole $160 million. Just how much space does that amount of money take up? Would it be new notes or old, and if new, would they be sequential? Is a hundred and sixty million stolen dollars really worth $160M? Would you have to sell the 'dirty' notes and buy back 'clean' cash and funds?
This led me down a rabbit hole, and when I dive down rabbit holes I start learning stuff, and stories begin to come to mind.


What I have learned today is:
o £1,000,000 in £20 notes will fit into a large suitcase, and £100,000 will fit into a briefcase. 
o There is a legal requirement to declare if €10,000 is being brought onto, or off, the Island. This applies to cash, cheques and pre-loaded store cards, or tokens with monetary value. 
o Money laundering attracts a 14 year custodial sentence.
o It is illegal to hold money gained through criminal activities.
o If you suspect money of being gained through criminal activities it must be reported, and if you don't you can be imprisoned for 2 years.
o Scotland issues £100 notes, but the highest in England and Wales is £50, and it is far more usual for people to pay using £20 notes than £50. 



No comments:

Post a Comment