22 October, 2018

No Phones, No Internet and No Television Day


On waking at 7am, the first thing I reached for was my Kindle to check emails and facebook, but then I remembered, it’s No PhIT Day. Instead of playing on the internet, I played a few games on the Kindle.

Then it was time to get up and make breakfast for Ava, and lunch for the Beloved. Ava had chicken goop, biscuits and broccoli. The Beloved will be having pumpkin and parsnip soup, and prawn and egg salad for his lunch. The soup was started last night, and finished off this morning. The areas I was using this morning have been tidied and cleaned, but there’s now a pile of pots, trays, utensils and a blender over by the sink.

I’m still rather delicate following last week, and I need to take things slowly today. This resulted in sitting down and playing 2048 (5x5 version) on my laptop. I don’t know if I quite getting the hang of No PhIT Day. Technically, I’ve been obeying the rules, but I wonder if I’m really into the spirit of it all.

It’s time to sit down and plan out my day. Instead of spending lots of time on my computer, Kindle and the internet, I want to do other things. I want to do things differently. The plan is to use these things as tools rather than time-wasters and entertainment. ... I’ve just realised, I have a 20% off voucher for Marks and Spencer. Today is the last day I can use it. There are definitely things I need, and it would be silly to wait, and lose the discount. The mantra will be ‘tools not time-wasters’.

Whilst turning ‘To Do’s into ‘Ta Da’s, I realised I need a list of things I want to investigate or respond to tomorrow: 

  • how to care for French lavender, 
  • pumpkin soup – I’m a bit underwhelmed. I was expecting far more taste, and colour. I’ll stick with butternut squash, 
  • how to make cauliflower ‘rice’

And, a few things I want to make: 

  • Lavender and Old Lace quilt
  • rainbow needle case
It’s noon, and time for a little reflection. I don’t have a problem with my phone. It’s used to phone people, take photographs, or send the occasional text. It’s not something I use a great deal. Similarly, the television is used to watch DVDs of an evening, and to watch Strictly Come Dancing and Doctor Who.

The internet is where I spend a lot of time. Some of it is social interaction, some is educational, but most is low-grade entertainment. I’m beginning to wonder if I should be trying to go without the internet each week day morning. Without a doubt, I need to become more mindful of how I spend my time on line.

That’s it. I’m ditching No PhIT Day, and I’m moving over to ‘tools not time-wasters’. That will suit my needs so much better.

Ta Da
make soup
make prawn and egg salad
tidy and clean 2 kitchen counters
fold laundry from tumble dryer
hang out wet washing to dry
wash laundry
sweep rug in bedroom
a little weeding
a little more weeding
work on Doctor Who scarf
put away laundry from tumble dryer
hang out another load of washing
wash towels and a blanket
wash bathroom window
sort donations for refugees
hang out towels and a blanket
another little of weeding
bring in washing
tumble dry the not quite dry washing
fold the rest of the washing
fold the now dry washing
clean hob
make dinner
start tomorrow’s dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment