03 October, 2018

Doctor Who Scarf


The Doctor has had some pretty iconic looks over the years (centuries), but I think that the Doctor's scarf is one of the best known. There were three different scarves, and the Younger Offspring has requested the scarf from Series 18.




It's a very simple knit, all knit, but there is a huge amount of it. The original was almost 7 metres long. I will not be knitting that much! Perhaps about 2-3m will be enough for me.

It can be difficult getting the right colours. These yarns are the best that I could find.

Yarn: Deramores Studio DK
Composition: 100% acrylic
Colour: aubergine
Yarn: Deramores Studio DK
Composition: 100% acrylic
Colour: wine
Yarn: Deramores Studio DK
Composition: 100% acrylic
Colour: paprika
Pattern: Doctor Who Scarf, Series 18
Size: Adult
Needles: 4mm
Started: 3rd October 2018 
Finished:  5th November 2018

Cast on 42 stitches in paprika. Knit all rows, slipping the first stitch purlwise. Two rows makes one ridge. On the row before a colour change, knit to the penultimate stitch, switch colours and knit the ultimate one.

There is a dead link on Pintrest to the pattern, but no pattern. Thankfully, there is an image on the dead link. I've copies it, and this gives the order, number and colour of the ridges. 

When the scarf has been knitted, make seven tassels for each end. Each tassel should contain all three colours.



It was a tad difficult to keep track of exactly where I was up to with all of the colour changes. There were several places where I 'personalised' it. And, I only made half of the scarf, even then it's about 3m long!

Knitting half of the scarf used up just a fraction more than 100g, and I used yarn from the second balls of yarn to make the fringe. Later, I'll be using some of the leftover red and purple yarns to make some wrist warmers. The red ones will be for The Offspring, and the purple ones for a friend. The orange yarn will probably end up as hats.

No comments:

Post a Comment