27 October, 2018

Lavender and Old Lace



I was watching How to do a crazy quilt patch work square  by Arne and Carlos (Scandinavia designers), and was inspired to take various wedding clothes and make them into a beautiful quilt.

Pictured above is my wedding dress (ivory and lavender satin) and the lace jacket I wore over it. There's a lace collar I bought on my honeymoon. The year after we wed, I made a lilac skirt for my brother's wedding. It is showing a little blue in the photograph. Also included is the Elder Offspring's prom dress, a deep purple dress I made for a friend's wedding, and some lacy ribbons I found in my craft room.

My plan is to use the various fabrics and lace, make squared using a method called 'quilt as you go'. The squares will be trimmed to a uniform size. They will be abutted and zig zagged together. Then, I use some tartan ribbon to cover the edges of the squares.  The Beloved was wearing the Flower of Scotland tartan. It was his first time in a kilt, and we hired it for the occasion. Since then, he has bought his own kilt, but it would not be a good idea to cut up his kilt for this quilt!

But, not until after Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment