17 June, 2023

No!


There comes a point in most children's lives when they learn the power of the word, 'no'. For my elder child, they really didn't start using this word until they were around two and a half.

We had tried very hard to give as many age-appropriate choices as we could to allow them to have control over their own world. In the morning, I'd choose two outfits that would be appropriate for that day's activities, and ask them which one they would prefer to wear. At breakfast, I'd offer 'Toast or cereal', and they could choose. These choices made no difference to my life, but make a huge difference to their life.

One day, after lunch, held out a little chocolate bar. "Would you like a Freddo?" I asked, and a cheerful, "No." was the response. A very puzzled look crossed my face. "Are you sure? I asked. "Would you like some chocolate?" Normally the answer would be an emphatic, "Yes.", but today there was another cheerful, "No."

At this point I realised they were experimenting with a new word, and a new power. I wanted to ensure this little one learned the importance of saying, 'no', and that their 'no' should mean 'no'. 

Looking down at my child, I smiled and said, "Okay. You are saying you don't want this chocolate bar." There was a shocked look on that little face, but I continued, "That's fine. You don't have to eat it just now. What I'll do is put it here on the table. If you change your mind and decide you do want chocolate you can come and get the Freddo. It's your chocolate and you can choose when you want to eat it." I was about to finish with an "Okay?" but thankfully realised this would be met with a 'No.'

The chocolate bar was placed on the edge of the table, right where a chocolate loving two year old could reach. I turned my back to tidy away things in the kitchen, and when I turned back the chocolate had disappeared.  I smiled and continued about my day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment