26 June, 2023

A Christmas Tomte Quilt


Ah, it's going to be one of Those Days (tm)!

I started off getting the shop ready to open, and managed to complete that simple task. Next, a delivery of new Christmas fabrics arrived. Nice.

Therefore, it is time to get the new fabrics priced up, tickets written and out on display. I even made it back to the office to start on that, but the new fabrics called. The siren song was "You'll need to use some of the fabric to make a display item." My response, "Better get on to designing something. Oh, an simple single bed Christmas quilt would be good."

Two of the fabrics have lovely little Nordic Tomte. Some Norwegian Christmas music would be good to set the right mood. A design starts to come into my brain.
That's when Kenneth McKeller brings it much closer to home with a song about The Midges. It's a song I have known for a long time, and I want to learn the words, so I start writing down what I remember of the lyrics.

And this is where I pause. I'm now singing of piranhas and bananas. The fabrics haven't been priced. The quilt is only half designed, and it really is the limit.

(a few hours later)

Tis done. The quilt has been designed. And, it is absolutely, beautifully simple. The central panel will be the above fabric. It's 7 squares wide, and I need 11 squares for length. Then there's fabric designated as 'table runner', but I'm going to chop it in half to make each panel into borders for the quilt. I'll need 3 panels, 1 for each side, and the third will be used for the top and bottom. This will leave 4 corner squares, and I have the perfect fabric in my stash. The batting will be a cotton/bamboo fusible. The back will be blue, and the binding red.

The quilting will be incredibly simple. I'll use the walking foot, and a sinusoidal wave. It will be white machine embroidery thread on the top, and white polycotton on the bottom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment