24 June, 2023

70 Days So Far


Seventy days into the challenge caused me to pause and reflect. 

One realisation is I am a storyteller, not a writer. For me, writing is simply a way to record, of preserving the stories. 

Many of the stories I have written in the last 70 days have been retellings of real, or slightly fictional events. Very few have been created from my own imagination. I spent a while wondering if this was good, or bad. People like the Grimm Brothers came to mind, they collected folk tales from the oral tradition, polished them, and presented these updated stories to a much wider audience. Who knows whether these fold tales would have survived into the modern, industrial age if they hadn't been collected, published, and preserved on paper.

Next I thought of HC Andersen, and the beautiful stories he brought into being. His stories can be viewed on a number of different levels, and bring a social commentary to his time.

Perhaps, for the rest of this challenge, I'll try to write more original stories rather than retelling old ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment