08 June, 2023

Lady, I Don't Know You!


Way, way back in the 1960s, my Mam was a teacher in a secondary school (12-18 year olds). She taught sewing and cookery. At that time, these were subjects only for the girls. Boys took woodwork and metalwork. Mam knew names of all of the girls in the school, but hardly knew any of the boys.

Near the end of the school year, there was a trip out to a historic castle, and Mam was one of the teachers who was asked to accompany the students. As they were 15 and 16 year old they were allowed to wander into the town after viewing the castle, on the understanding they would be back at the rendezvous point at 3pm. 

At 3.10, my Mam went searching for missing students, and found three youngsters hanging around, laughing and giggling. The serious teacher-face appeared, and Mam berated Sarah and Jeannie for their tardiness, and told them to get on the  bus back to school right away. 

She turned to the young man, and said, 'Put your cigarette out, and get right on that bus, now!'  He gave her a puzzled look and started to walk away. My Mam caught his arm, "Bus! Now!" The guy looked at her again, and calmly replied, "Look lady, I don't know you, and I left school two years ago. I'm not going back to school for anybody."  It was at that point my Mam realised she might have made a little mistake, apologised and ran for the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment