16 June, 2023

Hey! You're Supposed To Be Working!


Years ago, the Elder Offspring had a blind boyfriend. He had a beautiful Guide Dog. We, as a family, were trained in how to act around Guide Dogs. The secret is whilst when they are in harness, they are working, and should be ignored. When they are out of harness, they can be treated as family pets.

One time I was out in WHSmith, looking at stationery. A wet nose materialised in my hand, and automatically, I started stroking the dog. Then my brain kicked in, dogs don't normally come into stationery shops. Without thinking, I corrected the dog, "Hey, stop that, you are meant to be working, not mootching around for cuddles." The dog's handler sighed, and apologised. I explained I would be very happy to cuddle her dog all afternoon, but I know that would be the wrong thing to do as this is a working dog. She laughed and asked if I might be able to try to get it into this dog's 'thick head'.

No comments:

Post a Comment