18 July, 2023

Fired for being kind!


I am not impressed, so very not impressed!  Let me tell you what happened, and you can decide for yourself.

Last Saturday, I was leaving town, the traffic was terrible and we'd waited at the traffic lights for two life times at least. The town was busy, and the bus was crazy busy.  

A little old lady got on the bus. But every single seat was taken. People cast a glance at her, her walking stick, and then looked away. Not one person was willing to get up out of their seat and stand so this lovely old lady could sit down.

"Can't be having that!" thought I. Jumping out of my seat, I offered it to her. She smiled and refused. I offered again. This woman was the age of my dear old Granny, and I'd get a clip around the ear if Granny heard I'd let a wobbly old woman stand. The woman grinned at me, touched my arm and said I'd made her day.

Third time's a charm, so I offered again. This time she laughed and agreed.

On the Monday morning, I walked in to work, and Jimmy shouted that the boss would like to see me. Into the office I strolled, not having a clue what was about to happen. "You're fired!  Andy will accompany you to your locker. You will clean out your belongings, and you will leave!"  I spluttered, "What? Why?" The boss stood up, and locked their eyes on mine, "You gave up your seat for an old woman. Get out!"

So that's the story: old woman needed a seat on the bus. No one would give her their seat, so I did. You'd do the same, wouldn't you?

If anyone hears of job openings for a bus driver, please do let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment