21 April, 2020

Virtual Travel Blog


Elly's trip to the Faroe Islands has given me itchy feet. I want so much to travel, and to see Lilo and Stitch. Here's the start of my virtual travel Blog. I'm trying to make this as realistic as possible, or within the realms of what will be possible when travel between the Isle of Man and the UK returns to normal, businesses are open, and people are able to freely associate.

Self-isdolation is over, and we can travel freely again. My deepest desire is to visit Lilo and Stitch. I just want to hold my daughter in my arms, and probably have a little cry.

Last night, my Beloved surprised me with tickets to go to Gloucester. Yes, there were some tears, and then a wave of concern regarding Ava, but the Younger Offspring has decided to stay home and look after the dog. It's just going to be the Beloved and me.

I've no idea how I managed to sleep. I was so excited! The excitement lasted all the way through to getting our cabin on the ferry. We are now underway. The song of Morpheus and the gentle rocking of the boat is lulling me to sleep.


The turbines! We must be close!

Getting off the ferry is an exercise in 'hurry up and wait'. I'm ready to go, my bag is packed, and now I'm twiddling my thumbs. … We're in the car, sitting and waiting. … And off we go! I'm going to see my Stitch!

The bypass road is fantastic. It used to be all the traffic from the ferry would have to travel through Lancaster, and it took for ever! Now, there are just a few slow spots before we get onto the motorway network, and from there a clear roads southwards.

It always feels a bit strange, we're on the boat for four hours, drive for an hour, and it's lunch time. It's easiest stopping at place like Tebay, but we're heading in the wrong direction. Oh, that reminds me, there's 'Tebay of the south' at Gloucester Services. We must go there this time! When Tebay isn't available, Marks and Spencer provides a good gluten-free, chilli-free, low-dairy lunch. But last time we stopped at a Waitrose on the M6, and I bought Wild Rice and Halloumi Salad. I've bought it again today, and have remembered to pick up a fork! Clever me.



The weather has been glorious, blue skies and wispy clouds. I've discovered I can't crochet whilst in a car. The movement is too great. However, as ever in the crafting department, I have come prepared. My interchangeable needle set, and a ball of yarn was in my bag. That's most of a hat knitted.

It's great to be back on the Docks in Gloucester. The apartment in the Barge Arm feels like my holiday home. It's such a calm, relaxing place to be, a comfortable minimalism. The apartarment is in the middle of things. There's a large arts and crafts fayre happening at the weekend, and I'm so looking forward to it. Lilo and Stitch will be round soon for dinner. As it's been such a lovely day it's going to be salads, cheeses and fruit.

Oh the first hug was the very best! It's so hard being apart when bad things happen, but holding my little one in my arms release a load of tension I didn't know I was carrying. There were tears, they simply fell, but then came the laughter, and of course, the board games. Some things never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment