07 April, 2020

Quite The Wedding!


"Shut Up, and Write" is now having a thrice-weekly virtual meet up. I was pondering over what I should write. There's a gnawing in my belly, and I can't concentrate. The last two weeks felt like a bit of a holiday, but now I'm no longer self-isolating it feels weird. Whilst I was keeping to the house it was simply a string of Sunday afternoons, but now I'm allowed out for exercise it is strange. Then it came to me, write about some of my dreams!

I wrote about a fairy toadstool. It all started in black and white on the step of my front door. Everything was normal. At the end of the garden path was a toadstool. As I watched, it grew, and morphed into a fairy toadstool from a children's picture book. Then the colours started to appear. Black and white disappeared, and colours faded into existence. They gradually becoming more saturated until the toadstool and garden shone in glorious Technicolor. It was Dorothy arriving in the Land of Oz!

This dream had been triggered by the arrival of a brand new colour television my parents had just bought. Black and white televisions were the norm at this time, but my grandparents had decided to splash out on a new television to watch the televised wedding of Princess Anne and Mark Phillips.

Whilst I was checking up on the date of the wedding, I came across a fabulous little snippet about a different wedding on the same day: "A local paper reports that guests were surprised at the goings-on during a wedding ceremony of Ms Bindi Shah to Mr Hakeem Nid. She smacked her almost-father-in-law with a whiskey bottle and fractured his skull, butted her fiancĂ©'s maiden aunt in the stomach with her head and locked her own mother in the church bathroom. Then she ran into the street, drove off in her fiancĂ©'s car, crashed it a short distance away and vanished in the ensuing crowd. The only comment from the bridegroom was that it was the first time she'd ever expressed any emotion towards him. 

As it stands, this suggests a bride got cold feet and tried to back out of the wedding, but numerous people tried to stop her. I need to write a high-octaine story based on this paragraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment