22 February, 2019

Good Home Cooking


"Good home cooking" is where I'm at. Id love to create stunning meals, but the reality is I am not prepared to put in the consistent effort required to elevate my game.

We had family friends over for dinner tonight, and I was going to make stunning things. But yesterday I was a bit under weather and felt most unlike myself. The day for preparation became a day of doing practically nothing.

Instead of beautiful creations, we had chicken tagine, quorn lasagna, and big bowl of salad. This was followed by apple crumble and ice cream. It was all gluten-free, apart from one flavour of ice cream (strawberry cheesecake), and there were dairy-free choices. These dishes were chosen because they could be made throughout the day, and then set aside until cooking/serving.

Everyone expressed their thanks for the meal, and all had second helpings. This got me to thinking, this is where I want to spend my time, with the people I love, not alone in a kitchen. There's a concept I've come across, reportedly from Italy, the cook should not spend more time in the kitchen than they do at the dinner table. Good food is great, but it's the people you eat with who are important.

No comments:

Post a Comment