25 July, 2018

Favourite Books: The Grand Sophy


Georgette Heyer is an author I come back to time and time again. I have been reading her books over the last 30 years. The majority of her books are set in the Regency period. I've read a couple of her mysteries and other books, but for some reason I don't get on with them. It's her Regency romances I enjoy.

At their most basic, the stories are about young women who find themselves in difficult circumstances and do things that were outside of the norms of the time. My favourite is "The Grand Sophy". It's a glorious romp of a book. Sophy is foisted on her aunt at very little notice as her widowed father is required to travel to America. Sophy's well mean act turns the household on its head as she works her way through tricky situations to bring about the best for everyone. The final chapters of the book take one little logical step after another, but somehow it ends in utter chaos and confusion, until Sophy puts the final puzzle piece in place, and everything falls out neatly.

It's totally unbelievable, and a thoroughly good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment