27 July, 2018

Favourite Books: The ABC Murders


This was my very first introduction to M Poirot and his good friend, Hastings. Together they solve the murders of Alice Ascher of Andover, Betty Barnard of Bexhill, and Sir Carmichael Clarke of Churston. At each murder scene was found an ABC railway guide.

I can distinctly remember reading this book, whilst trying to tan my legs during the summer holidays. I had opened the French doors and arranged cushions over the lip of the door frame. My legs were outside, my torso was inside, and I was cut in half by the blinds. My eyes were (are) too sensitive to be able to read a book in bright sunlight.

Whilst sunning myself, I fell in love with the murder mystery genre. Every summer I would read a few Agatha Christie novels, marvelling in the skills of the detectives. Forty years later, I still love this genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment