29 May, 2018

Raised Beds

My back garden is still not ready for planting. The seeds I've sewn were going to have nowhere to call home. Thankfully, a friend has allowed me to annex her garden. I am very happy to be in her garden; it hasn't received much attention over the past year (she's been away, and the lodgers promised, but didn't do it). 

The garden has raised beds, made with wooden shuttering. There is a huge amount of bending and crouching. I'm so glad that my raised beds have a top wide enough to place my bum. It's going to be so very much easier in my beds than in her's. 

The weather has been uncharacteristically hot and sunny these last two weeks, and it is set to continue for the next two. This means the weeds are not too bad, but the soil is so dry. A few onion sets have been planted, and I've been clearing weeds and forking over the soil with a hand fork. A few weeks ago, we collected some manure. This will go on C's garden rather than mine, as I don't have one just now! It will improve the soil, and help with water retention.


No comments:

Post a Comment