07 May, 2018

Gardening Has Started!


My first real act of gardening in the back garden has happened!  We have made a new composting bin.  It was a £15 garden bin from B&Q. I marked where the holes should go, and the Beloved used the drill. After the holes had been drilled, he went over them with a sharp blade, removing any burrs. I followed with a damp, soapy cloth to remove the chalk marks.

A layer of scrunched up newspaper was placed in the bottom. Then a layer of soil from the front garden. Next was the veggie scraps I've been collecting, and it was topped off by some potting compost that has been lying around since last summer. There were a few nice, juicy worms in the mix. The soil and potting compost are both nicely moist, so I didn't water them.

We've positioned it just across from the back door. We wanted it close to the kitchen, not right beside the door (ants), but where we will see it each and every day. This will help me take good care of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment