01 May, 2018

City Slicker Quilt in Blues and Yellow


The first block has been completed in my City Slicker quilt. It is being made from a jelly roll, various fat quarters, and some white cotton. The finished block will be 14x10".

My original intention had been to use the blues to make a Jelly Roll quilt. Every so often I take a notion of a random design, and each and every time I realise, I'm not a random person. Order and pattern, geometry and precision are the things that delight me. It was rather a labour unpicking metres and metres of sewing, but this quilt is going to be so much more to my tastes - geometric blues, whites and a pop of yellow. The pieces have finishes sizes of 2", 4", 6" and 12" - so ordered! 

Not being a person who buys patterns when they can see how to make it, I'm just making it the way I want to do it. The original has the block centred around the small square. I decided against it, and started with the four patch of blues.

My aim is to complete the top of the quilt by the end of the month. I want the quilt to be in the region of 90" by 86". This is roughly 9 blocks by 6 and a smidge. To complete the top by the end of the month I'll need to be making one and three quarters blocks per day. Perhaps two might be an easier number to manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment