04 March, 2018

To Buy or Not to Buy


In the Christmas sales I was able to buy a beautiful, soft, wonderful cashmere sweater for around £35, half its usual price. I have worn it and worn it, and it is so wonderful to wear.

The opportunity to buy one for £60 has arisen this weekend. Do I need a second one, and a second one at that price? My merino sweaters are now getting rather old, and all have been darned. I have been wanting to replace them, but at this price?

I keep looking at new clothes, but do I need them, or am I simply lusting after something new? Is the cold weather turning my thoughts to spring clothing?

One of my birthday presents last year was a fantastic Le Creuset skillet. It was very expensive, but it has been used, and used, and used. And, I can see myself using it almost every day for a very long time. 

"Buy once, buy well" keeps running through my head. Although, when I was looking at some clothes on-line, I used the "Price: Low to High" option. After years of very little money, it's hard to get used to the idea of buying more expensive items. 

It comes back to the standard three questions, "Do I need it? Do I want it? Do I love it?". It would be so much easier if I could answer with a wholehearted'yes' to at least one of these questions. "Need" is too strong a word. My current supply of sweaters and cardigans is sufficient for my needs. "Want", again too strong. I've having some lustful thoughts. And "love", again we are back to lust.

No comments:

Post a Comment