10 March, 2018

Optical Illusion Zig Zag Blanket


Yarn: Red Heart Lisa DK
Composition: 100% acrylic 
Colour: Violet (08303)
Colour: Glacier (08363)
Colour: Petrol (08195)
Colour: Pink Marzipan (08367)
Colour: Lilac (05691)
Pattern:  Groovy-ghan
Size: 1m sq
Hook: 5mm 
Amount used: 
Started: 10th March 2018 
Finished:  25th May 2018

My Mam and Grandma taught me how to knit when I was 4 years old. Everyone in my family could knit, and I do mean everyone. It seemed like an interesting thing to do, and obviously (well 'obviously' to my 4 year old brain) it was something I'd need to learn at some point. I would describe what I wanted to do, and my Mam and Grandma would teach me how to do it. It wasn't until I was about 12 or 13 that I learned to use a pattern.

Surprisingly, I was not taught to crochet. I'd pick up a hook and yarn, wibble things around, and make it up as I went along, and this worked rather well for me.

A couple of years ago, I tried to follow a crochet pattern, but it proved to be rather tricky as I didn't know the name of the stitches, and the one that fell under my fingers was a very rarely used stitch. Instead, the pattern of increases and decreases was explain and I ploughed on making a star-shaped baby blanket.

This is the very first crochet pattern I have followed. Through the wonders of youTube, I have learned single crochet (US) and double crochet (US).  It's working! The hardest part is counting to 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment