22 January, 2018

They Like to Move It, Move It?


My parents have lived in the House on the Hill for almost 40 years. In these 40 years, my Dad's mobility has been seriously impaired. For the last 15 years, at least, he has been registered as disabled. There have been times when the steep road up to the house has been too icy or snowy for him to be able to drive up and he has had to spend the night with my aunt and uncle. Now, at long last, my parents have decided it's time to move down the hill. 

They have spotted a lovely little house at the bottom of town. It's a two minute walk from my aunt and uncle. It's also two minute walk from a newsagent/convenience shop, about 5 minutes from a small supermarket and major bus routes. The house itself has a study, kitchen, sitting room/dining room, sunroom,  bathroom and bedroom on the ground floor, and two further bedrooms upstairs. There's a garage, and off-road parking for two cars, a small garden at the front, and a larger, paved garden at the rear. 

If they get this house then the first thing to sort would be the above bath shower. A bath is great when you have small children, but a large walk-in shower is far more practical for adults, especially if one of them has a mobility problem. Another thing requiring work will be the back garden. Currently it is most unattractive, but with a bit of work it could look really good, and make a low maintenance garden for my Mam.

This would be a very good move for my parents. They would be off the hill, on the flat, and very close to the vast majority of the town's amenities. I wonder how I will feel when my parents do move (to this house, or another).

No comments:

Post a Comment