29 April, 2023

Magnesium


Magnesium is important for many processes in the body, including regulating muscle and nerve function, blood sugar levels, and blood pressure and making protein, bone, and DNA.

People who eat a gluten-free diet very often have a magnesium deficiency. Signs of deficiency include high blood pressure, migraines and muscle cramps. Tick, tick, tick.

For the last couple of years I have been taking supplements to help remedy this lack, and it is wonderful to have a huge reduction in migraines and muscle cramps. Next time I'm visiting the doctor I'll find out how my blood pressure is doing.

My preference is to reduce the supplements, and get more magnesium for food as nutrients from foods tend to be more readily absorbed than tablets. The Breakfast Banana Bar is a great way to consume more magnesium. The oats and bananas are fairly good sources. The Breakfast Bars will become a common feature in my diet.

However, 30g of pumpkin seeds has almost five times the amount as a medium banana, or a serving of porridge.  I can see a lot of pumpkin seed sprinkled on my salads in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment