13 April, 2021

Migraine


Migraines are rather weird things. One came over me yesterday. At 5pm, I was pretty much fine, by 5.45pm,  I was concerned I was going to be able to stand. Thankfully at that point I was right beside the car, and was able to hang on to it. The Beloved bundled me in, and drove me home.  

Driving into the sunshine brought pain.  The Beloved  dropped the sun visor, and that was useful. Then I had a brainwave, I could wear my face mask over my eyes. By wearing it upside down it covered eyes, nose and mouth.

A rather interesting thought came to me at one point, I was still able to think, but didn't have the ability to translate these thoughts into words. 

A couple of years ago, a migraine suddenly descended upon me whilst shopping. The supermarket has an in-store pharmacy. The Beloved took me to the pharmacy and asked for migraine medication. The pharmacist wanted me to take paracetamol as a first stage. I disagreed, and tried to explain what I needed. During this time, I was sitting slumped in a chair, eyes tight shut against the bright lights. My words were very few, and rather slurred. That's when I wondered if I might be able to bi-pass words, and use signs. This worked, and The Beloved translated my signs to the pharmacist. 

After a lot of dithering, he agreed to give me the drugs I needed. The Beloved went to finish the grocery shopping; I remained in the seat. In the 15 minutes it took him to return my symptoms had reduced to the point I was able to speak again.  I asked for the pharmacist, and purposefully choosing multi-clausal, polysyllabic words and phrases thanked him for his care. I also let him know I was off to bed, and would sleep for about 2 hours, and would then be fine once more. The look on his face was priceless. It's not often people get to see how quickly the correct medication works.

No comments:

Post a Comment