16 June, 2018

Feelings on a New Parental Home

After a few short weeks, they really do seem very settled in their new home. This is very good to see. However, I do wonder about the wisdom of buying a house where there's stairs to get in, front and back. At the front there's about 16 steps and 4 at the back. Admittedly, Dad is dealing with the stairs beautifully just now. My worry is how will he cope in 5 years time.

Mam had been telling me about all of the decluttering they had been doing. There were tales of the skip at the front of the house, and their daily trips to the recycling centre. And yet, there is so much stuffed into their new home, and that's not including the stuff in the double garage! Mam's idea of decluttering is so vastly different from my own.

It's their stuff, and of course, it is theirs to do with as they please, but I know that at some point it will become my responsibility to clear this house and dispose of their possessions.  This is not a task I am looking forward to. I am most certainly not going to make this sort of imposition on my children. When I die, the house will be neatly organised, decluttered, and all of the paperwork will be in order.  

No comments:

Post a Comment