27 November, 2017

Low FODMAP Diet


My tumski is not a happy part of my body when it's been given gluten or high levels of dairy (mostly, but not exclusively lactose). For the last 8 years or so, I've been living gluten-free and dairy-light. This has brought serious benefits to my health and life. However, I feel it's not all it could be. There's can still be bloating and serious windy-pops, from the top, and also the bottom. 

The FODMAP diet was proposed and researched by Monash University, Australia. It was initially designed for people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome to reduce symptoms like gas, bloating, abdominal discomfort, pain, diarrhea, and constipation. It has since been recommended to others who have digestive problems. FODMAP and elimination diet, and after three to six weeks, the high FODMAP foods are gradually re-introduced. 

My plan is to start it in the New Year, but try out various recipes and ideas before then. The biggest challenge for me will be saying "No" to onions and garlic. They are in so many meals I make. But, it will be good to find out what is problematic, and what is fine. 

The very good news is I can eat chicken, rice, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, broccoli, corn, strawberries, raspberries and grapes. I can survive on this for quite some time, and I did when I had shingles. It was then my digestive problems became apparent. 

It all feels rather positive. I'm working towards a healthier, happier me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment