25 July, 2020

Write Every Day!


This is advice given by Anne Lamott, Stephen King, and countless others. It was advice I had been following, or at least trying to follow. Back in at the end of February, I decided to write a blog post most days. I managed 25+ posts each month for the next four months. Then along came July, and I began to feel self conscious. It felt a bit pretentious. So, I stopped. 

This seems to have been a poor decision. Pretty much the only times I have been writing have been at Shut Up and Write. This is my blog, and the writing, recipes, and bits are almost solely for my own amusement. This blog lives in the backwaters of the internet, a tiny creek, many miles from the ocean. If this is a place for me, then I am the one who gets to decide what appears. 

I need to write most days as it prompts me and keeps my brain ticking. It doesn't have to be every single day, and I'm happy to slip in backdated posts every now and then. For my own developer as a writer, I need to do this.

My goal is to write a post a day until the end of the month. In August, I'll add in an extra task of writing or researching for my story about Jenny Quayle, and Grunkle. I've been working on it at Shut Up and Write each Saturday, and the characters are really coming to life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment