30 July, 2020

Are You An AI?


I've had an interesting 5 minutes chatting on-line with customer services at Amazon. Yesterday, a silicone pastry brush was delivered. Unfortunately, the silicone had ripped where it joined the acrylic handle. This rendered the brush unusable.

I tried to instigate a return, but the options were for Hermes ParcelShop and the Royal Mail. None of those options are available here on my little island. My thoughts turned to customer services.

It was very obvious I was dealing with an AI as I could only select specific responses, but the AI decided to call in back up, Karl. Everything was fine at first, but I realised the phrases felt like stock phrases, not a genuine response to what I was writing. It was all good and appropriate, but stilted. Karl, on behalf of Amazon, decided it wasn't worth it for me to return a faulty piece of kit worth £2.99. I agreed. Karl refunded my pennies and asked if there was anything else he could do to make my day better. That's when I asked "Are you a real person or a fabulous AI?" 

On reflection I should have asked if Karl was a human, not a 'real person'. But Karl said he was in fact real. …  Hold on, he said he was real, not a real person... Is Karl a real AI?!

No comments:

Post a Comment