26 July, 2020

Manx Cottage


I have discovered I am a writer who loves research.  It's important to me for my tales of fantasy to be rooted in reality. 

Today, the Beloved and I drove up to the primary location in my story. I had thought it would have been a little further west along the road to the Creg Na Baa, but there was just such a convenient water supply I couldn't overlook the spot on the corner of the Creg Na Baa Back Road, and Honey Hill.

The back of the house is very close to the Creg Na Baa Back Road, and the front has a southern aspect, looking down over fields to Clypse Reservoir, over to Douglas, and the sea beyond. It's only five miles from the sea terminal in the capital, but it's in the middle of nowhere.

'Honey Cottage' is a traditional stone Manx cottage. It was known as Quayle's cottage.It has mains electricity, but the water comes from a stream running down from the hills. The water is fresh, clean and flavourful, having being filtered through layers of peat. When the rain is heavy the water is very peaty.

No comments:

Post a Comment