05 July, 2020

I Never Thought My Mother Would Become A Verb


We all have our little habits and eccentricities. One of my Mam's is her inability to walk parallel to another person. Perhaps she is very susceptible to the other's gravity, or maybe she just wants to be close. It could even be she is losing her hearing a little and needs to decrease the distance.  What ever the reason, Mam has a habit of allowing her path of converge with the person she is walking alongside. It's a bit disconcerting being 'pushed' into a hedge, or wall, and being edged into the road.

One day, I was walking with the Offsping. Whilst dodging an uneven section of pavement, I heard the cry of '"Oi, Grandma! Keep to your own side." We laughed, but that was the starting point. Later it became 'Don't Grandma me.'

This morning, we walked along part of the coastal footpath. Ava was off-lease and pootling along. The Beloved looked behind and saw Ava change from walking by my side to walking behind. He named this action 'the reverse Grandma'. I never thought my mother would become a verb!

No comments:

Post a Comment