02 June, 2020

Happy Birthday Grandma and Grandpa


Today is the anniversary of my Grandma and Grandpa's wedding. It's also the anniversary of their births. Grandma was born in 1916, and Grandpa in 1914. They married in 1939. They met, fell in love, and became engaged all within 4 weeks. Their marriage lasted until Grandma's death just a few weeks shy of their Ruby wedding in 1979. Grandpa lived on into his 80s.

They were both featured large in my childhood. When I was little, we lived 1.5 miles away in the next town, but in the summer when I was 5 we moved just around the corner from them. A year later, they moved into the house next to us. 

G&G were such an evenly matched couple. They loved and laughed. And their love was an encompassing, embracing, inclusive love. If someone turned up at a meal time a place was set for them at the table. If someone was in need, they would help out in the unobtrusive way. Kind-hearted, generous and loving, that's the best way I can describe them.

It's been many years since Grandpa died, and many, many for Grandma. I love them, and miss them. I would have loved for them to meet my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment