13 February, 2011

Granny's Pancakes



This is an old family recipe.  Well... sort of. My Granny (great-grandmother) made pancakes and these were loved by all of the family. My Grandma made them, and then my Mam.  

When my children were little they loved eating pancakes when they were at their Grandma's house. One day, they said it was a shame that I couldn't make pancakes. They were very surprised to learn that I could make pancakes, and they pestered me to make them every Saturday morning for breakfast. Later, I made them when I felt like it. But they were always requested for people's birthday breakfasts.

Pancakes were the first thing I tried to adapt after my diagnosis with Coeliac Disease. They adapted really well. So, here are Granny's Pancakes, with a bit less sugar, and free from gluten.

Ingredients
2 cups of Dove Farm plain flour 
3 rounded teaspoons of baking powder 
1 large egg 
1/2 cup of sugar 
1 1/4 cups of milk 

Method
Combine all the ingredients thoroughly. Take one tablespoonful of the pancake batter to make a pancake. Drop it onto a girdle, or frying pan, over a low to medium heat. When the mixture is bubbling all over turn the pancake over and cook the other side. Both sides should be a lovely golden brown colour.  

Only once have I been able to test whether they freeze well. (They do.) Normally, our problem is they disappear too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment