16 February, 2011

Cabled Wine Bottle Cover

A person on Ravelry.com saw my Cabled Hot Water Bottle Cover.  She had seen a picture of a cabled wine bottle cover and asked if my hot water bottle cover might be able to be adapted into a wine bottle cover.  This got me thinking. :o)

The answer was that it would be easier to design a wine bottle cover from scratch than try to adapt the hot water bottle cover pattern.   I am currently writing the pattern as I knit.  This is fairly standard for my design process.  

The bottom of the cover is a simple stocking stitch circle/octagon that increases by 8 stitches every second round.  When the bottom has 48 sts, the increasing stops and the sides start.  Then it is a simple cable pattern all the way up the height of the bottle. (I am about half way up just now.)

When the top of the bottle is reached I shall  put in a round of eyelets, work a couple more patterns of the cable, and then a moss stitch border (seed st in US).  This will cause the top cover to flair out slightly.  

I hope to have finished the knitting and the pattern by this evening.  A photograph will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment