05 January, 2021

Dog Biscuits


One of Sue's friends makes rather fantastic dog biscuits. Ava loves them. I've asked a few times for the recipe, but as yet nothing has been forthcoming. The label had a list of ingredients, and I've searched for a suitable recipe. This is one that seemed to be almost there, and I've tweaked it a bit.

Ava has declared the spiced treats are very acceptable.

Ingredients
310g flour (I used gluten-free) (plus 3 rounded tablespoons)
60g porridge oats (plus 4 rounded tablespoons)
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
good pinch of black pepper
1 teaspoon baking powder
175g treacle
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons water (if needed)

Method
Preheat oven to 170C. Lightly grease baking trays.

Place all the dry ingredients in to a large mixing bowl and stir. Add the eggs, treacle and oil to the dry ingredients, mix until well blended. Add the water if needed. Mix until smooth.

Either roll the dough to 5mm thickness, and cut into shapes, or form into balls, and squish them flat (about 5mm). If rolling, used a very well-floured board, if making squished balls, dampen your hands with water to help the balls not to stick.

Bake for 30 minutes. Thurn off the oven, but leave the biscuits in to crisp up for a further 30 minutes.

Notes
The dough created was far, far, far too wet! I added 4 rounded tablespoons of oats and 3 of flour.  I couldn't give the weight in grams as my kitchen scales were wet.

1 comment:

  1. did you check for dog food safety before making this dog treat? when I checked online I found many cautions. I think it was only ginger that was Ok'd for dogs.

    ReplyDelete