29 June, 2013

Thirty Days of Giving - Day 12

I think I need to face facts; I am useless at blogging on a daily basis.  The good intentions are there, but life gets in the way, or I simply forget.  Thankfully, I have not forgotten to donate £1 on the missing days - I managed that.  It was just writing about it.

Day 12

A donation has been given to Breakthrough Breast Cancer.  This charity does fantastic work in researching breast cancer.  A quarter of the research done in the UK is funded by Breakthrough.  They also provide a wide range of information.

However, my one big grumble with this charity is at that the images, the stories, the information is almost exclusively about women.  Men get breast cancer too.  A man's life time risk of getting breast cancer is 1 in 1,000.  This is 100 times lower than a women, but sadly, because a lot of the breast cancer information was targeted only to women (not just talking about Breakthrough just now), there have been men who did not realise that it was possible to get breast cancer and who have died because they left it too late to seek treatment.

Yes, women are the ones who are most likely to be making use of breast cancer services, but it is important for men to be aware of the dangers too.  A bit more information would be good.  A bit less pink would be nice.  And changing the language from 'women' to 'people' would be wonderful.

But they do such fantastic research!  I am happy to think that my money (this £1, and the one pound coins given through the year) is going to fund the scientific reaseach.

No comments:

Post a Comment