27 February, 2013

Gluten-free Flour Tortillas on my day off

A friend on Ravelry was asking about gluten-free flour tortillas.  Someone posted a recipe that her friend uses.  As it is my day off, I decided to play in the kitchen, and I am so glad I did!  

The ingredients given in the recipe are:

    2 c. Gluten-free all purpose flour (or 2 c. White rice flour)
    2 tsp. Xanthan gum or Guar gum
    1 tsp. Gluten-free baking powder
    2 tsp. Brown sugar 
    1 tsp. Salt
    1 c. Warm water



    and this produced 8 tortillas.  I made a half-recipe to test it out, and used Dove Farm Gluten-Free Self Raising flour instead of the all purpose flour and baking powder.  This was because I used the last of the baking powder last week and haven't bought a replacement yet.  

    Whilst making one of the tortillas, I noted it was puffing up in the middle, and used a weight to bring it back down in contact with the griddle.  This produced a harder tortilla, more suited to folding in half rather than rolling.  Following the instructions as started gave a soft, roll-able, tasty tortilla.

    My griddle is not terribly large, and my tortillas came out a bit thick.  Next time, I will make 5 tortillas rather than 4.  It is definitely a recipe I will be using again!  



No comments:

Post a Comment