11 August, 2013

Holiday Knitting

This year, I made 5 socks, started a 6th and knitted the front of a cushion cover.  

29 and 30.  white slipperette socks
31 and 31.  white slipperette socks
32.  Twisted Dozen sock in purple

(Not knitted on holiday, but definitely knitted, two additional slipperette socks, taking the total to 34.)

Last year I made socks for my Dad, and I asked if he might like another pair. There was a resounding 'Yes please'.  This time they are in a soft, soft merino 3ply.  Normally I would work in 4ply and cast on 60sts for an adult.  With this being 3ply, I am using 72sts and 2mm needles.  The needles are just half a millimetre smaller (diameter) than my standard sock needles, but they feel so much smaller!

I thought I had better offer some socks to my Mam, not really expecting to make them.  Mam surprised me and said she would love some.  This is the woman who taught me to knit when I was 4.  It was quite a thrill when she choose one of my patterns to be made up into socks.  

Dad's feet are almost the same size as my husband so it is easy to make socks the correct size for him.  For my Mam, I wanted her to try them on at each stage to ensure that they fitted perfectly.  

One Mammy sock made, and one Daddy sock started.  Christmas knitting is under way.

No comments:

Post a Comment